Saturday, June 7, 2008

Day 39

I was going to do a very flip post about the minor league game that we went to last night, but we actually had a really good time. My Omahameter(tm) is reading higher these days.


The parking was free at the game, we had awesome seats 7 rows from the field right behind first base that are only $10 a piece. The food was cheap, as a matter of fact an insurance company was giving away free soda, water, dogs, brats and chips! The Omaha Royals were playing the Iowa Cubs in a double header and the Cubs (who we rooted for, of course) won both games by a a landslide. And there were fireworks after the game. Can't beat that for less than $60.


Also, I've been hooked into some good press about Omaha. Like this article in American Airlines Magazine sent to me by Jenny. And this story on NPR sent to me by Mack.


It's funny; before we moved to Omaha, I would seek out stories like these and really try to focus on the positives of Omaha and leaving Chicago. Since we've been here, I feel like I've been doing exactly the opposite.


The term "wallowing in self pity" really is appropriate. I was getting in to a funk and enjoying my misery in Omaha. Savoring the negatives of Omaha while ignoring anything good.


That being said, I probably did come here with rose colored glasses and when they broke I think I had a rose colored shard in my eye. But, I've pulled it out and I'm going to give Omaha another chance without the over-hyped expectations that it is secretly Portland and without the bitter hatred that Omaha is not-so-secretly hell.


Willing and Wiser,

Kelly

No comments: