Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Day 74 or thereabouts

I miss my friends.

I want to see the movie American Teen. I don't want to force Barry to watch it, I want to watch it with someone who wants to watch it as much as I do. Will I ever find someone in Omaha? I need to find someone who hates here as much as I do. The more I hear from people about how nice it is here, the more that I hate it. I think that's part of what made me dislike Santa Barbara so much. People there are so in love in with Santa Barbara that they can't imagine anyone not loving it. Then I found (or to give credit where credit is due - Barry found) Melanie.

Wilmette was easy. Sure a lot of people there are in love with The North Shore, but there are plenty of naysayers so it was easy to have a nice balanced love/hate relationship with it. Barry bought me a sign that said "Wilmette Home Sweet Home" I would change its prominence in the house according to my feelings on any particular day. Sort of like my Omahameter. (Wilmeter?)

Everyone in San Francisco loved San Francisco, including me. Otherwise why else would you pay $750/square foot to share a garage and laundry with your upstairs neighbor?

Grandma made it back to Mississippi. She'll be back for Thanksgiving (dare I ask her to stay a month for Christmas?) She loves it here, though I guess compared to Gulfport, I'm not surprised. I think she likes it because it is way nicer than Gulfport, MS (what isn't?), but is less threatening than San Francisco and not as snobby or big (in a beautiful way that I totally miss) than Chicago.

It will be interesting (for me at least) to see how I feel about the whole thing on Day 374.

No comments: