Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Day 21

Well, $1000 dollars later and I think we have the plumbing issue taken care of. The plumber is coming back today to powerwash the pipe, and I hope that will be the end of it.

We went to downtown Elkhorn (see previous post) to check out the BBQ place for dinner last night. It was pretty good. Not as good as Womack's in Tahoe, but better than Hecky's in Evanston. And best of all, it wasn't in a strip mall.

I went to the Old Market district in Omaha today to get my hair cut. I thought that I'd go early and check out this cute French looking place that has walls lined with wine bottles and ladies sitting with their toy dogs on those rattan chairs. I had a vision of sitting there with my book (still reading Moth Smoke by Mohsin Hamid - it is wonderful and I highly recommend it) and sipping on a perfectly made cappuccino and a flaky almond croissant. I guess the open at 9 sign was merely a serving suggestion. Sigh...not even a safe bet Starbucks in Old Market so I went to this other cafe, Delice. Barry, the kids, and I went there last Saturday. It is okay there, but no yogurt to go with their homemade granola and muesli.

Old Market looks cute with brick streets and some cool looking restaurants, but there aren't enough retail shops there yet. I'll give it some more chances though (not like I have a lot of other choices).

The haircut place was cool looking inside with a lot of whitewashed brick and stained glass windows and arches. My haircut is a little too spiky and anime. I miss Melanie (the gal who did my hair back in Chicago, not that I don't miss you too Mel from SB). I will probably keep looking. I'd been with Melanie for 4 years with just one indiscretion, but I was on vacation and it didn't mean anything. No sense jumping in too quickly.

I can't get home delivery of the New York Times here, so I decided to go for the mail option of the Sunday paper. I wasn't expecting to get the paper until Wednesday or Thursday, but it came yesterday. I'll actually end up reading more of it since I don't get the daily anymore. I'll try to look at the upside of not getting it everyday as saving trees.

I'm going to play a game of Wii tennis. It is quite addictive. We got the kids the Wii as a moving present. The Wii tennis is keeping me on tennis mode until I join a new tennis league in the fall.

2 comments:

mai said...

hiya hon' - - or howdy....????? are there cowboys there????? sounds like you are doing your very very best. I absolutely admire you for making such a bold choice!! have you read skinny bitch yet??? pick it up ( about meat/food/nutrition...) have to get it myself- girlfriend says informative in a chick to chick way... miss randomly driving by you on glenview road!!!! xoxo maira

Kelly said...

No cowboys here, just Republicans.

Haven't read Skinny Bitch, but I've heard about it. I think it is all vegan and I just can't go that way.

Miss you!