Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 20

I finally got my computer set up, so I can start my Omaha blog. I've been using my laptop with wireless (the best invention ever) connection, but I couldn't set up a blog on it because of cookies or java or some other food sounding problem.

Days 1-20 have found my emotions vacillating wildly between thinking that this is the worst mistake we've ever made to thinking maybe it's not exactly terrible.

The first week was ok, I was on an unpacking high. Week two, I was getting a little depressed with tons of boxes and dealing with workers and not feeling like I could get a minute to myself and only leaving the house to pick up the kids from school or get groceries (at the Super Target).

But...Mother's Day is Sunday, surely that will find me some relief. Only if you spell re
lief S-E-W-E-R. Our main line was clogged and we had yucky water backing up in the drains in the basement. So Mother's Day was quite a shitty day.

Other little gems to brighten up the experience have been a dead squirrel in the pool, dead birds by the window (we closed the blinds, hopefully that will help), the dog dribbling pee all over the basement (white carpet) because we don't have a fenced-in yard and we forgot to walk her, and today a redeux of the sewer in the basement trick.

On the bright side I can't clean the bathrooms like I planned and so I'm finally starting this blog.

All hasn't been bad - the neighbors are very nice and have brought us various treats like brownies, popcorn, and homemade Irish Soda Bread. People seem very friendly, though everyone has l
ived here forever and the other mom's have been nice, but no one has really gone out of their way to invite us anywhere. I guess I got kind of guilty of that myself in Wilmette after I had been there for a while and I could have been more welcoming to new people. But, I'm sure that I will find my niche and I'd rather wait to see how things go rather than jumping in to a new relationship right away. Finding friends is so much like dating, but without the free dinners.

The sunsets here are incredible. It is one of the happiest parts of the day if I can get the ki
ds to bed before 8:30 and watch the sun set.

On the food front, we haven't really found anywhere to eat that I can say is really good. We've tried two Thai places (out of about a total of 6) and one was terrible and the other was mediocre. Tried one Chinese place that was inedible. So I've bought a Chinese cookbook (which I've already started having some success at making) and a Thai cookbook (which I had just started getting in to). There is also an Asian market, but I haven't made it out to there yet, it is kind of a long drive, about 20 minutes.

There are a lot of strip malls here, so we've been trying to look for other things. We've been going to the Farmer's Market in the Old Market district of downtown and on Sunday we went to downtown Elkhorn (the name of the town that we live. It is on the far west of Omaha and was forcibly annexed by Omaha last year). Downtown Elkhorn is one street with a lunch/breakfast place that was ok. We had the breakfast buffet, the eggs were cold and the bacon burned, but I'll give them another shot ordering from the menu next time. There is also an Italian restaurant, a BBQ place, a pub, and a Scandinavian gift shop. Also on Sunday we went to a wildlife preserve that you mostly drive through with elk, deer, Sandhill cranes, and buffalo and also a nature trail with wolves and bears (the wolves and bears are fenced off) and were really cool to see.

Our yard is almost like it's own nature preserve with wild turkeys in yard every morning and tons of other birds too.

Sunday was a much better day so I hope to have more of those.

The kids are getting along quite well and seem happy especially with the pool. The water is only 65 degrees but they've been going in anyway. Barry also is doing well and likes his job.

We all miss Chicago and I still miss California.

-oh one other good find is a really good beer brewed in Lincoln called Luna Sea. Love everything about it.

Miss you all!

Kelly

No comments: