Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Facebook Fetish and other Pursuits

I am loving Facebook! I've reconnected with some old college friends and am keeping in better touch with other friends.

Had a great weekend. On Friday we went to the newcomers dinner and service at our Temple and on Sunday was the first day of religious school with a bar-b-que afterward. I'm really feeling such a part of that community, much more than I did at our Temple back in Chicago. I don't want to imply that the people were less friendly or the temple wasn't as nice...I think that it is just because there are fewer Jewish people here and so the Temple is much more a central to everyone's social lives.

On Saturday we explored Nebraska by going south of Omaha. Our first stop was historic downtown Plattsmouth at the confluence of the Missouri and Platte rivers. And lucky us, it was Kass Kounty King Korn Karnival. It was like when we stumbled on to The Mustard Day Festival in Mt. Horeb, WI.

A lot of the buildings were really cool looking. If I were a film maker I would totally set a movie there.

Then we continued south to Nebraska City, NE home of Arbor Day. We went to Arbor Day Farm to go Apple Picking, but they have tons more than just that and not the usual overpriced inflatable junk either. They have a great nature walk and you get to bring home a baby tree.

We picked about 10lbs of apples. They are Jonathan apples and really tart. I made some applesauce yesterday. I'm going to buy some sweeter apples to mix with them and make a pie.

On our way home from our adventure we went to Pudgie's Pizzeria for authentic Chicago style pizza. It was like being home. (Chicago home that is). We even met Pudgie, aka Phil who despite being a White Sox fan was really nice. He had a fantastic Chicago accent. His wife also makes a killer cheesecake.

No comments: