Monday, September 8, 2008

Anxiety Love

Today I played in my new league for the first time. Even though it was just a beginner 2.5/3.0 league I was really nervous because I hadn't played all summer. Last night I dreamt that I couldn't find the kids' school and that I was going to be late for tennis, then there were already 4 people and the two sets of partners were wearing identical tennis outfits. Then there were all of these people playing and I was just terrible. Actually, I won today!

The beginner league here is much different. There is no coach (I miss Dorothy). They just send you out with three other women and you play 3 sets playing with a different partner for each set. It was really fun, they also have a tennis-fit class (cardio tennis they call it here) that I might sign up for in November.

I'm also doing a yoga class. It is really small just 5 or 6 people, so there is a lot of individual attention, which I totally need. I think that I've never really done a downward dog the right way. The class is all older women (I think in their 50's) plus me and one husband. They are super nice and make me feel really young!

Tomorrow is curriculum night at the school and on Friday is the volunteer meeting for classroom help. It seems much more egalitarian here in terms of the PTA, etc. Every parent is automatically a member of the PTA, the meetings are in the evening, and the classroom help sheet comes from the teachers rather than from the PTA picking a room parent. Also this year the PTA has decided to forgo the big fundraising drive and tell everyone that they need 14K dollars and to donate what they can.

Tomorrow I'm meeting a woman from my temple for coffee.

I feel like I'm really starting my life here.

No comments: